The Spencer Public Library started as a one-room facility in the basement of Spencer High School in 1943. At the time, it was only open for three days a week and was staffed by a librarian and an assistant. As the library outgrew this small space, local residents wanted to build a new library building which an architect had envisioned. Our library still has copies of these drawings made in 1956. Spencer Public Library was considered a branch of Rowan Public Library at this time and received books from the main library. On January 18th, 1959 the former Spencer Elementary building became the new Spencer Library. Mrs. James Cooper was the head librarian at this time. We have pictures and news articles which detail the history of the library which you may request to browse while in the library.
We have trophies of students who attended here in the 1930’s and 40’s and a picture gallery of football teams, cheerleaders and graduating students featured on our walls. Our local Jewelry store owner, Debbie Barnhardt has graciously added to our historic artifacts by donating a large watchmaker’s desk and framed news articles describing the watchmaker’s school which trained many young people in the 1930’s-1960’s. C. E. Kneeburg was asked by the state vocational rehabilitation to start a watchmaking school in Spencer for disabled adults. To learn more details, come and visit our library and read the articles which are framed in our hallway.