The Town Manager, as chief administrative officer of the Town of Spencer, is responsible to the Spencer Board of Aldermen for providing executive leadership and organizational support necessary to carry out the policies and ordinances of the Board of Aldermen, to oversee the day-to-day operations of town government, and to appoint Department Leaders who direct town staff to deliver the services and to meet the goals of the organization.
Town Administration staff, along with the Department Leaders, are steadfast in their commitment to provide results-oriented, practical and creative approaches when implementing Board of Aldermen goals, initiatives and vision for the Town of Spencer. As a result, there continues to be a transformation of town government into a more streamlined and cost-efficient operation that promotes the community to benefit the citizens of Spencer in numerous ways.
To efficiently and effectively discharge the responsibilities of chief administrative officer of the Town of Spencer requires staff support. An administrative team works collaboratively under the leadership of the Town Manager to support the Board of Aldermen in meeting its duties and responsibilities, oversee departments that deliver services to citizens and customers, manage a multimillion annual budget and work with appointed boards and commissions.
The Finance Officer is responsible for the following:
- Plans, organizes and supervises the operations of the Finance Department, including disbursement and accounting of municipal funds, billing and preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports; supervises staff assisting with these duties.
- Serves as a member of the team, along with the Town Manager, in the preparation of the general operating and capital improvements budgets; reviews department budget requests for accuracy and justification of resource allocation and expenditures.
- Works with the Town Manager in the formulation of the Town’s financial policies.
- Manages receipt and investment of Town revenues.
- Oversees and participates in risk management and benefit functions.
- Oversees and participates in Payroll & Human Resources functions. Oversees filing, reception and customer service.
- Reviews and monitors the ongoing administration of the Town’s budget; monitors revenues and expenditures.
- Assist auditors during the annual audit of the Town’s financial records; follow up on findings to improve financial systems.
- Maintains the general accounting system for the Town; supervises the maintenance of financial records for each department; maintain separate accounts for items of appropriation in the budget, including the amount of the appropriation, amounts paid, unpaid obligations against the account and the unencumbered balance.
- Submits to the Town Manager and Board of Alderman periodic statements of the Town’s financial condition.
- Performs fiscal analysis, trend analysis, revenue forecasting, debt service planning, capital budgeting and planning, budget amendments, financial reporting and related financial management tasks with direct oversite from the Town Manager.
The Accounting Clerk is responsible for the following:
- Maintaining complete and accurate records, time sheets, and benefits to administer payroll
- Prepare, distribute, and post expenditures for accounts payable
The Town Clerk is responsible for the following:
Maintaining complete and accurate records of all Board of Aldermen proceedings and meetings as well as all official Town files
Preparing, distributing and posting agenda materials and minutes of Board Meetings
Preparing and publishing notices of public meetings and hearings
Ensuring the Town's Code of Ordinances is accurate and routinely updated
Maintaining applications, comprehensive list, terms of office and attendance of Boards and Commissions members and administering Oaths of Office to each new member
Preserving the legal and historical integrity of Town government through maintenance of official legal records
Town Administration Staff
Peter Franzese, Town Manager
Stacy Craven, Town Clerk
Faith Wilson, Finance Officer
Christie Hutchinson, Accounting Clerk
Kyle Harris, Town Planner
Joe Morris, Special Projects Planner