Starting a Business
Why Bring Your Business to Spencer!
Marketing Analysis Information
General household information observations are used in determining target retail markets. Based on the ESRI report and 2010 US Census data (unless otherwise noted) a synopsis of the household information for Spencer (within the 1 and 5-mile radius) is as follows:
- Population within 5-mile radius 44,167; number of households 17,404
- Population within 1-mile radius 4,562; number of households 1,791
- Median age: 39.1
- Ethnicity: 58.2% white; 32.8% African American or black; Hispanic or Latino 9.2%
- Average family size is 3.15
- Average household size is 2.5
- Median household income is $39,063
- Median family income is $43,968
- Per capita income $18,994
- 61% homes owner occupied
- 39% homes renter occupied
- Total vacancy rate: 13%
- Median house or condo value: $116.489
LOCATION - LOCATION - LOCATION
Spencer is located:
- In the exact center between Washington, D.C. and Atlanta, GA;
- 49 minutes from two Major International Airports, Charlotte Douglas International Airport and Piedmont Triad International Airport.
- Two active Railways with a 60 acre railway yard and an Am-Track Depot nearby.
- Interstate 85 - 1-mile away with multiple accesses
- Interstate 40 - Less than 20 miles
- Interstate 77 - Less than 25 miles
HERE IS WHAT YOU DO!
Town of Spencer Requirements
- Obtain a Zoning Permit from the Land Management Director (704-633-2231 Ext 28). Verify that the business location is properly zoned for the type of business to be conducted, and understand signage regulations. This applies to businesses located in an existing building, new construction, expansions or renovations, as well as home-based businesses.
- Obtain an occupancy rating and fire inspection from the Rowan County Fire Marshal.704.216.8916. Other special permits may be needed from the Fire Marshal.
- Start water and sewer service from the Salisbury Rowan-Utilities Customer Service Center or 704.638.5300.
- Building code inspections for Spencer are handled by Rowan County Building Inspections. Obtain a Zoning Permit first from the Land Management Director.
County and Other Requirements
- Businesses must file a Business Personal Property Listing Form with the Rowan County Tax Office for filing of assets and other business property, such as computers, furniture, equipment, and tools.
- Register your business name with the Register of Deeds Office in Rowan County as well as counties you are going to do business in by filing an Assumed Name Certificate or Trade Name Certificate.
- Rowan County Health Department oversee regulations related to food service and distribution, and child care inspections.
- Obtain other types of permits and licenses from county, state, or federal agencies.
- Obtain other utility and contracted services.
- Garbage and recycling - Town of Spencer or private contractors
- Electricity - Duke Energy or 800-777-9898
- Natural Gas - PSNC Energy or 877-776-2427
- Internet and telephone - Windstream or 866-445-5882; Time Warner Cable or 877-892-2220; AT&T or 888-944-0447
- Fire Department Pre-Incident Survey in Businesses & Facilities - Obtaining data for pre-fire sketches that will be used by responding fire personnel during an actual fire emergency. With this information firefighters will be prepared to provided the highest level of service in the event of an emergency. These surveys are not conducted by fire code officials and are not fire inspections. They are an opportunity for firefighters to familiarize themselves with your business and for you to interact with an communicate concerns to Town firefighters. Contact Fire Chief
- Evaluating water flow requirements
- Police Department Security Survey - free of charge to assess the security of your facility and make recommendations for improvements. Contact Police Chief at 704-633-3574
- Small Business Center at RCCC
- SCORE Charlotte Financing
- North Carolina Capital Access Program
- IMAF Charlotte Micro Angel Fund
- Grameen Microloans
- Small Business Technology & Development Center
- Business Link North Carolina
- North Carolina Department of Commerce
- Rowan County Chamber
- Rowan Works - NC Economic Development
- Rowan County Airport
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport - 49 Minutes from Spencer
- Piedmont Triad International Airport - 49 Minutes from Spencer